I want to run a marathon


I just heard about the Boston Marathon and I watched this of the first explosion.

It made me gag and cry.  I can’t imagine how it must have been for those present.  

I didn’t know what to think and thought the person who did this terrible thing.  Was the point to ruin was supposed to be a triumphant day?  My thoughts came fast and jumbled until I from some insane part of me I thought, “It makes me want to run a marathon.”

I’ve never run a marathon before. Never really saw the point of it really.  I want to say that its because I’ve been unhealthy and out of shape but the truth is I never liked the idea of all that pain.  I do admire the people who push themselves to the edge of human resistance.

So what about running a marathon? Like a “giant f*** you!” to whoever did this.  I want them to know they didn’t succeed in ruining this day completely, those running towards the finish line, and towards the blast, those running to help.  I’ll be running for those affected by the blast and for those who ran to help.

I don’t know if I can do this in a year. I do know that training for it is a thoroughly exhausting process. But I’m going to do some research. 

At the risk of feeling selfish and self-absorbed I'm going to go ahead and say that when I cross the finish line from my first race and every race after I'll remember this day.  Terrorism can fail, it can fail to scare us and fail to inspire fear.  It can inspire us to stand up and say, "I remember and I will my change my life in spite of you." I will say a prayer for those affected, those helping and those whose loved ones were affected.  Lets say a prayer for everyone that we don't let the terrorists win. Think of the bravery that emerged and the hate that inspired such terrible actions.

Comments

  1. What kinds of conditioning regimens are you thinking to get yourself ready for a marathon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm writing a blog about it, it should be up tonight!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Memories of the Roadtrip

The Beginning